Sunday 26 May 2013

Inspiration

So May's been a little slow for writing. Between work and the fact that people seem to be intent on me having a social life (who knew they actually liked me?) it's been a little difficult to sit down and put pen to paper. Besides, there's a far more pressing matter that's getting in the way of my creativity; I just don't feel inspired.

It's difficult to say why I don't feel inspired, though I'm fairly sure that going to the most boring place on earth every day for 8-10 hours doesn't help. Then again, what do I know? Not a lot, if this blank page sitting before me is anything to go by.

See, I know what I want to write. I know what's going to happen. I know what the characters are thinking and how that affects their actions. I know what's going to happen 20 chapters on. I know what's going to happen three books on. I know what to write, I even have entire passages mapped out in my head. I just can't get it on the page. Well, that's not strictly true. I can get it on the page in about five minute spurts. The problem is, my soul wants to write, but my mind doesn't.

So I'm doing the usual things to inspire myself. Great books, great music, great films might have to go in for some video games soon. I went back and read 'Catcher in the Rye'. I've been listening to my favourite bands. I've been watching my favourite films. I've been listening to new music and watching new films. At the moment I'm reading 'Destiny of the Sword' by J. Jones. It's fantastic and it's actually helping. It's making me yearn for a full page again, which is half the battle.

Put the coffee on Jameson! The page is blank and I need fuel! 

No comments:

Post a Comment